Located in the beautiful Hudson Valley, the Village of Montgomery is a great place to live, raise a family, shop, and do business.
Village of Montgomery Water Emergency Information
20 Painless Ways to Save Water
- Fix those faucet, toilet and showerhead leaks.
*Add 12 drops of food coloring into the tank- if color appears in the bowl,
the unit is leaking.*
- Use the dishwasher and washing machine only with full loads.
Hand washing dishes in a basin saves 15 gallons of water. A dishwasher uses
8 & 12 gallons of water per load. Top-loading clothes washer uses between
40 & 55 gallons of water per load.
- Don't run water continuously for vegetable peeling - use a bowl of water.
- Don't let the water run while brushing your teeth or shaving
Filling the sink to shaves uses only 1 gallon of water, letting the water
run uses 10 gallons per shave.
Turning off the water when you brush your teeth saves 4 gallons of water each
- Use a broom to clean your driveway, walks, and patio.
- Use a sponge and bucket of water to wash the car.
- Take shorter showers rather than baths.
- Don't use the toilet as a trash can.
- Water the lawn in early morning or evening to avoid evaporation.
- Water no more than 1 inch per week applied slowly to prevent runoff.
- Place several cans around your yard when you water to see how
long it takes 1 inch of water to accumulate.
- Keep grass at least two inches high to shade roots.
Lawns don't need to be watered every day.
- Aerate regularly, and use mulch to reduce evaporation.
- Plant native or drought-resistant grass and plants.
Better Yet, Exeriscape.
- Water trees slowly, deeply, infrequently to encourage deep rooting.
- Don't run tap to get cold water. Keep a water bottle in the refrigerator.
- Install aerators on bathroom and kitchen faucets.
- Install low-flow toilet. (1.6 gal per flush) and showerhead.
Old Vintage toilets use between 8 & 12 gallons of water.
- Insulate water heater and pipes.
- Use a swimming pool cover to prevent evaporation, keep debris out and it
keeps the heat in.